# Conventions Used in the RIPE Database Documentation
The following conventions are used:
- <label> indicates a placeholder or syntax.
- [option] indicates optional text or command argument.
- bold font indicates an object type.
- “attribute:” indicates an attribute of an object.
- ‘value' indicates the value of an attribute.
The term “RIPE Database” is used in several ways depending on the context. It may mean the:
- Entire service
- Database software
- Logical database
- Database contents
Where there is any doubt, we will clarify what is being discussed.